Thursday, April 7, 2016

Major Key: Communication

Another week down here in el PerĂº, and only a couple more to go! Today officially marks 20 days left until I get to see my parents, who I haven't got to hug since January. As far as this past week went, I went to a Peruvian barbecue, started a new training program at the gym, ate lots of food, and went to Parque de Las Aguas!

Let's talk about communication. In the world of smartphones, iPad's, iMessaging, twitter, instagram, you name it, it appears we can connect to anyone, anywhere. Which, let's face it, is pretty cool. But what about real communication? What about when you actually have to make plans with someone by using your mouth and your words? I've learned a couple of lessons this past week about the art of communicating.

Lesson number one took place last Thursday night when Yurina and I went to Parque de Las Aguas. It's a huge park with several different lit up fountains and shows. I'm really quite mad at myself that I didn't go there sooner! I mean, we actually did try to go sooner (Monday) but upon arrival we saw that the park was closed. (this could actually count for communication lesson number one: always google hours of operation). The true first lesson was coming home, when Yurina and I sat down in three different taxis to get ourselves back to campus. Our first several attempts at hailing a taxi were unsuccessful, as they all tried to charge us way too much. Uhm hello just because we have accents doesn't mean we don't know a good taxi price.... right?! After bartering with another, we got him down to a reasonable price and got in... only to drive a couple blocks to have him tell us, no actually I'm not ok with that price, I want 5 soles more. We said "nope" and got out right there. Surprised, as this has never happened to us, we tried, tried again. Bartering with taxi number two, we all agreed on a price again and away we went. We told him exactly where to go (our campus, which is very well known to the taxi world), but after a couple of blocks he decided he didn't understand us, and he didn't know exactly where he was going, unless of course we settled for 5 soles more. So out hopped Yurina and I, deciding if we kept this trend up we may make it back to campus fo' free! Third times a charm, as we hailed a taxi and his initial price was 5 soles less than the other two we bargained with. We jumped right in as soon as the words, "quince" escaped from his sweet Peruvian lips. Lesson one: some people try to pull the, "oh sorry I don't understand your accent give me more money" card. Don't let it happen, your communication skills are great boo boo.

Lesson number two is group communication. Personally, I love group messages. I think they're fun and everyone gets to contribute and send fun emojis and they're just fun. But let's talk about group chats in real life, some may call these "meetings", "small gatherings" or "parties". Saturday night I found myself at a Peruvian barbecue. Much like barbecues in the United States, we ate lots of meat, drank some beer and were all gathered around talking. Now this wasn't the first time it's been brought to my attention, but there's something about being in a group of native speakers that makes me shut down. I'm like the friend that wasn't by their phone, has 47 new notifications, sees the funny joke made two hours ago and sends "lol" after the discussion is done. The speed of these conversations is astounding, not to mention full of slang and terms I've never heard. Sometimes I just laugh along with them, even though they know I didn't get it. I'm lucky enough to have made friends that understand this problem, and will later explain the joke to me. Little by little it's getting much easier to understand what is being said, but sometimes I'm just off in the distance, thinking "damn guys I have no idea what's going on." Lesson two: speaking one on one or in tiny groups is the easiest.

Overall, communication is key. Lots of lessons can be learned on this topic, and I'm lucky enough to have figured some of them out. Bear with me, as I only have a couple more weeks left!

Abrazos y besos, XOXO

Abby





No comments:

Post a Comment