Wednesday, April 13, 2016

5 Things I've Learned in Peru

As my final blog will be about my trip to the Amazon, I'm closing up the Peruvian blog series with 5 things I've learned while I've been in Peru (besides Spanish).

1. Independence
I've always thought of myself being very independent, in the sense that I could do things on my own and could think for myself. But I hadn't realized before coming how much I actually depended on other people. Now, it's not a terrible thing to depend on others, but I've learned it is so important to do what YOU want to do because YOU want to do it, not because of the influence of others. Find your motives, stick to them, be who you want to be and find your own ways to create happiness. Before coming, whenever I was alone I felt super anxious, but now it's so calming and relaxing to be by myself. 

2. Small Talk
I'm so good at small talk I can do it in two languages now, but that doesn't make it any less boring. The most challenging conversations I've had while speaking Spanish (and English!!!) were not surface material subjects. They've required me to dig deep, and to think of new ways to express myself. It's important to have people in your life that challenge you, that push you, and make you think a little harder, regardless of what language you're speaking.

3. Practice Makes Perfect
It's a common phrase we hear when training for sports or CrossFit, learning a new language, working on speeches, and basically anything in life. If you have poor flexibility and mobility (*fingers point back to self*), you SHOULD stretch. Not just one time, but like.... everyday (going to take this moment to confess I never stretch and it's something that I'll be working on...) The same concept applies when trying to mold the mind. If you want to be kinder, you have to practice. You can't one day say, "I want to be a better person" and boom YOU ARE Buddha. No, sorry, it doesn't work like that. You have to consciously apply yourself to change old habits, you have to TRY and change.

4. Effort
Effort is probably one of the most important aspects to a relationship, in my opinion. It doesn't work to go above and beyond for someone that doesn't even give you the time of day, but at the same time it's good to be generous with your time and presence. What you put in won't always be what you get out and if it's not working out, move on. Any kind of relationship requires a balance of effort, and you should never be the one pulling all the weight.

5. F.O.E.
Family Over Everything. My brothers both have it tattooed on their bodies, and it's what has gotten me through the homesickness I've felt here. Although they're not my family by blood, the Nebraska group, my Peruvian friends and host family have all made me feel at home here. While no one can replace your immediate family, having something that's close makes everything so much easier.

That's all for now folks, as I'll be heading out tonight for the Amazon Jungle!

XOXO abrazos y besos,
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment